The areas of South Morgan and North Morgan were first settled in 1960-61, and were incorporated into Morgan City in 1868. Morgan’s business district had it origins along Young Street and State Street in South Morgan. Some of these first businesses included a mercantile and blacksmith shop. Although the business district was in South Morgan the main route into the area was located on the northeast side of Weber River. This created a dangerous situation to receive merchandise and supplies from out of the area. It was very hazardous to cross the river, especially in Spring prior to the first bridge over the river.