Voted Local Levy-Another Point of View
There are opinions on both sides of the issue regarding the problems created by the loss of state revenues to the school district over the past five years. Following are some points I believe every voter needs to consider.
• Like most things of great value, education comes with a significant cost attached to it.
• The State of Utah has responded to effects of the recession by passing previously state funded items to local districts.
• Morgan School District has lost over $4 million in state revenues over the past five years.
• Student enrollment continues to increase and has increased by 347 students in the past five years.
• Student instruction costs continue to rise.
• There is an inadequate business tax base within the county.
In the meetings I attended, I heard more than once the comment that the school district just needs to live within their budget just like every family must. The following analogy came to mind. We have a two-income family with one source of income being the major breadwinner and the other a minimum wage supplemental income. This family is doing fine with taking care of their needs. However, due to some unfortunate event outside of anyone’s control, the “breadwinning” income is lost. The family is now trying to get by on the minimum wage income. They will survive but not without loss and suffering. They may even have to make the difficult decision to ask for outside help until their economic situation improves. We are a community that has always taken pride in our young people and the fact that they are our future. It is the time to step up and make sacrifices where we can to ensure that their educational needs are met.
It has been said, “Education is the guardian genius of democracy. It is the only dictator that free men recognize, and the only ruler that free men require.” ~Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar
I am not excited to pay more taxes. I believe we are between a rock and a hard place. I believe today’s students are our future. I will vote yes on the local levy.